Monday, April 17, 2006

Washington Post: Nothing to Fear But... Reality

I do not want to sound like Lou Dobbs, but is thing guy kidding. Do not get me wrong, I am all for calming hysteria, such as the type that is frequently associated with talk about the Chinese behemoth, but if you are going to argue that American business can keep America strong in the new economy, I am not sure that WAL-MART is the right example. Forget all the legitimate PR problems that the retail giant has. If one only considers their over reliance on cheap Chinese suppliers , which furthers our enormous trade deficit, I think that would be enough to suggest that WAL-MART is the exactly wrong example to use. In fact, WAL-MART seems to love China as much as it loves cutting prices. Xenophobia is NEVER rational or productive, but I think there are some legitimate reasons for people to continue being wary of the PRC Dragon.

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Exile said...

I like this entry. Reed Hundt has a new book coming out about U.S.-China relations. Should be good stuff to check out on this issue.

-Tito

 

Post a Comment

<< Home